Friday, March 21, 2008

Dark Friday

Today's the day He saved the world. Good Friday, Dark Friday, Holy Friday.

In my mind's eye I follow him to Gethsemane, watching from the trees. Agony, relinquishment. I see him preparing to bear the whole of my sin, and I shudder. I follow from a distance and see the betrayal, the arrest, the abuse. It's unbearable to watch and yet the least I can do. I see him silently take it all, like a lamb before it shearers. I follow the climb to Golgotha, along with the other women (would I have been among them if I were there??). I hear him say to the daughters of Jerusalem, "do not weep for me, but weep for yourselves." I weep.

He is crucified. I cringe at the insults and tormenting. There are hours left to go. He speaks - to his mother, to that blessed thief, to his Father. At noon the sky falls dark and the earth quakes. He must continue to bear it. The hot afternoon drags on.........agh, when will it end? Finally I hear him commit himself to God, and yield up his spirit. It if finished.

Scriptures for meditation this weekend:
6:00 am - Delivery to Pontius Pilate
9:00 am - Nailed to Cross
12:00 pm - Sky goes dark; earthquake
3:00 pm - It is finished; veil of temple torn in two
6:00 pm - burial
Matthew 27, Mark 15, Luke 23, John 19
Isaiah 52:13-53:12, Psalm 22

Saturday
Christ's body in the tomb; apparently goes to Hades to preach
1 Peter 3:18-19

Meditations on the cross
Phillippians 2:5-8, Colossians 2:14-15, Hebrews 2:9-10,14-15

Sunday
Resurrection
Matthew 28, Mark 16, Luke 24:1-49, John 20
Phillippians 2:9-11, Acts 2:24, 1 Cor. 15:55

Tombs of OT saints opened when He died; after His resurrection they walked the streets of Jerusalem
Matthew 27:52-53

Resurrected Christ now - YEAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
Revelation 1:12-18, Revelation 19:11-16

No comments: