Friday, August 3, 2007

Well Shut My Mouth

Once again, Elisabeth Elliot's pithy proverbs have set my heart a-pondering. July 30's devotional praised the wise use of silence, the discipline of restraint. It will come as no surprise to most of you that this is not one of my strong suits. :)

Elliot suggests that we don't always need to proclaim, share, witness, point out, defend, clarify, elaborate. She frowns on our generation's need to be "honest" and "open." She observes that Jesus practiced silence when he chose not to identify who he really was, when he commanded others not to tell of his miracles, when he refused to answer accusers. He knew when to speak and when to refrain from speaking. Easy for him, you say. Another advantage of being deity. I hear you, but I'm wondering if a closer walk with the Spirit of God would afford me the same discernment.

Walking by the Spirit is a bit more complicated than following a hard and fast legal code, is it not? There's not a rule for every situation. Instead, I must be quiet and patient enough to develop an ear to hear God's inner promptings, and then follow them. Sometimes he will urge me to speak, and many others times he will not.

As I chew on Elliot's words, I wonder about my verbose propensities. I suppose I feel that it's a fundamental right to share what I feel and know. When it comes to theological things, I feel obligated to elaborate, to correct error, to exhaust the bounds of language in order to adequately express. I feel compelled to tell the whole story. In marriage, unfortunately for Gene, these urges are exaggerated. I wonder how few words would escape my lips if I only spoke after deliberation in prayer. Ah, the wisdom that would then spew forth!

Elliot's conclusion has stuck with me all week. It's my new mantra.
"Not everything needs to be said, and very few things need to be said by me."

And finally:
Where there are many words, trangression is unavoidable. But he who restrains his lips is wise. Proverbs 10:19

To receive EE's devotionals directly instead of only my regurgitations, go to http://www.backtothebible.org/index.php?Itemid=110&id=119&option=com_content&task=view.

5 comments:

Angie said...

SO TRUE. . about the wisdom in holding the ole tongue. I have learned so much by just listening instead of blurbing something out to fill an uncomfortable silence, or to try and give answers I don't have. Keep these coming! I am drinking them up. Love, Ang

Anonymous said...

I am thinking (not speaking out loud), "Wow. How much more Jesus would shine through if I was more content in being loved & accepted by Him." Maybe as I rest in Him more, I won't try as hard to "win" favor & influence or defend myself, through so many words.

Anonymous said...

"Since ancient times, no one has heard, no ear has perceived, no eye has seen any G0D besides YOU, who acts on behalf of those who wait for HIM."

waiting without words, for HE is our defense

Anonymous said...

....a smile and "hhmmmmmmmm" has worked well for me the last few years!

Jamie Bostick said...

A great lesson to listen and learn. I want to know more about who Elliot is... I hear you refer to her(?) but no clue who she is... next study enlighten me please.